Not-for-profit Pty Ltd Company Registration
Register a "Not-for-profit Pty Ltd company" through Cleardocs - that is, an entity that pursues certain charitable purposes only. You receive all the documents you need to set up your company and we register it with ASIC online.
Once you complete the question interface, you will receive:
- the ACN by email immediately;
- a link to download the legal documents including:
- the Certificate of Registration; and
- the Company Constitution.
- all other relevant company set up documents.
Time taken to complete 20 minutes.
Cost $ 606.50 (inc GST) — Cleardocs fee $ 137.50 and the ASIC fee $ 469.00.
Legal Sign-offThe master documents are written in plain language and are signed-off by our lawyers at Maddocks.
What documents are included in the Cleardocs Not-for-Profit Pty Ltd company package?
The Cleardocs Not-for-profit pty ltd package includes:
- Certificate of Registration — which shows the ACN (Australian Company Number), the date of registration, and the registered company name;
- the company's Constitution;
- Consent to act as Director;
- Consent to act as Secretary;
- Application for Shares;
- Minutes of a Meeting of directors;
- Share Certificates;
- Consent to act as Public Officer;
- Notice of appointment of Public Officer; and
- an Establishment Kit explaining what to do next.
What information do you need to register a "Not-for-profit Pty Ltd company" through Cleardocs?
Our checklist outlines all the information you require. You can create a "Not-for-profit Pty Ltd company" using the Cleardocs Company Registration document package. Look for the question in the interface, "Is the company going to be a not-for-profit company? (Including as trustee of a Private Ancillary Fund or a Public Ancillary Fund)" - and answer "Yes".
The Cleardocs system then:
- creates a constitution for a Not-for-profit company (and, if applicable, also a trustee of an Ancillary Fund); and
- we tell ASIC that the company is "a Not-for profit company (so that your company pays a lower annual review fee to ASIC).
What is the main purpose of the Cleardocs "Not-for-profit Pty Ltd company"?
The Cleardocs "Not-for-profit Pty Ltd company" has been developed mainly to be used as the trustee of an Ancillary Fund (whether a Private Ancilary Fund, known as a "PAF", or a Public Ancillary Fund, known as a "PuAF"), not to be a charity.
Ancillary Funds provide a tax advantageous structure for people who wish to donate money to entities which are recognised as "deductible gift recipients". You can read more about Ancillary Funds:
- below under the heading "What is an Ancillary Fund?"; and
- on the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) website.
For the charity entity to have tax deductibility status, the company will need to apply to the ACNC for registration as a charity and to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for endorsement as a charity.
The ACNC and the ATO may have requirements about the Constitution which may require changes to the Cleardocs "Not-for-profit Pty Ltd company" Constitution. You must seek your own legal, accounting and financial advice about your particular situation and the ACNC and the ATO's requirements.
How long does ASIC take to register the company
Normally 10 minutes.
Any problems? Call on 1300 307343 for assistance.
Choosing a company name
The ASIC system allows you to select any name that you would like for your Not-for-profit company registration. Before registering the company through Cleardocs, please check the ASIC site to see if the name you want is taken.
What happens if the company registration is rejected?
The lodging again is easy and free. Call us on 1300 307 343 if you need assistance.
If the name you want to register your not-for-profit company with is unavailable or ASIC has an issue with your application, then:
- ASIC will reject the application;
- we will send you an email explaining why it has been rejected (you can also find details of the rejection under the heading "What's next?" on your "MyDocuments" page);
All you need to do is update the question interface and resubmit your application.
Registering other types of companies in Australia through Cleardocs
Cleardocs electronically registers company types allowed for under a ASIC Form 201 "Application for registration as an Australian company". These include:
- a Pty Ltd company;
- an SMSF trustee only Pty Ltd company; or
- a not-for-profit Pty Ltd company.
Seek legal advice
The Not-for-profit Pty Ltd Company Registration information here should be considered general in nature, and in no way interpreted as legal advice. You must always seek your own independent legal, accounting and financial advice about your particular situation. The summary on this page is for information purposes only.
Questions or further information
If you have questions:
- about how to use Cleardocs, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343.
- about legal issues, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343. If you need advice, we will arrange for you to speak with a lawyer at Maddocks. The firm provides a free legal helpline in relation to the documents Cleardocs provides. If you require other legal advice in relation to your particular circumstances, then this will be charged for.
- Includes copy function for address details - saving you typing
- Allows export of BGL CAS file
- Extensive online help and local phone support
- Lodgement with ASIC 24/7 using our electronic lodgement portal
- Full range of tailored company set up documents complying with the legal requirements for a not-for-profit special purpose proprietary limited company
- Easy to use question interface